Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I DID IT!!

March 14th 2010 Race day!!!



It's been a while since I have blogged. UGH!!!


To my defense, I have been training for a 5k. Lord knows I am tired! But not nearly as tired as I was in the past- not tired form gluten poising, tired from working out and training!

So this post is about my race. I DID IT. Can you believe it? I never had to wear shoes as gymnastics was my sport of choice and gymnasts didn't wear shoes. :) So I strapped on a pair of new Nike's an started to train. I trained really slow (thanks to George Cuddy) who told me not to push and to take it slow. "Nothing happens over night" he tells me. "Don't cross your arms over your body, keep them by your sides and take it nice and slow."

The constant reminder was great because my personality is a fiery one. (Those who know me can vouch) I wanted to push, run fast, sweat, feel my lungs burn but that was not the way to do it.
First week of training: (10 weeks total) Walk 10 minuets, run 3

Week 2: Walk 8 Run 5

Week 3: Walk 7 Run 7

An so on and so on.... Not only was I doing my running, I had to make sure I was up on my strength training. I did that on my off days- Tuesday and Thursdays. I took ZUMBA (which I love because it satisfies my dance cravings) on Saturdays. It's a constant reminder of how much I love to move- and it also keeps the heart rate up.

So back to the race... I was nervous. Half way through the training my back started to act up again and I wasn't ready for it. Brain Barkwell, the on-site and amazing physical therapist at Revolution Fitness told me to take it easy. Perhaps running wasn't for me as I am still healing from a back injury from my gymnast days. But I didn't listen. (Sorry Brian) I pushed on.. taking down the level slightly because I didn't want to hurt myself for good..

The day of the race I was nervous. Had I trained enough? Was I going to throw up? Cross the finish line? People in my life had been asking me.. "Why are you running all of a sudden?" It was a personal goal. A mind game that I had to prove to myself that I needed to do this- perhaps it was a way I could tell myself I had finally beat GLUTEN and I was no longer a prisoner in my own body.
Sunday March 14th- Race day. I wake up to a monsoon.. all weekend it was wet and raining. One of the worst rain storms I had ever seen in my 24 years- It rained for 3 straight days and there was over 6 inches of the stuff!!! Not to mention it was cold... bone chilling!
There was NO hesitation. I was running my 5K. After all it was only 3.1 miles. I ran at my own pace and took my time like George told me to do- also I kept my arms at my side and didn't cross them. :) I was the most amazing experience ever. I felt STRONG, even with the pelting rain on my face and the wind trying to stop me.

The last 1/4 mile was on a slushy, muddy bike trail and I sprinted to the finish line. I ran with my arms up ecstatic that I finished. I was so proud of myself. 36 minuets it took me to run 3.1 miles. Completion of the 5K was a milestone for me.

No matter how short or long the race it's setting the goal and completing it that matters. Just set your mind to something.. especially if you have been feeling down and out in the past. Finishing something feels amazing.. I challenge you to try it- it's liberating!

I plan on setting more goals and completing fun things in the future because I am no longer confined to the couch. Thank god. Much more to come....

xo,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, nice Blog I enjoyed reading all about the race. Glad to hear that things are going pretty good. Can't wait to hear about your next race. Ruth

    ReplyDelete